
Gage and I had been making plans and talking about marriage for months. We had this lovely idea in our heads that was slowly inching its way into our agenda. Regardless of how unprepared or caught-off-guard we felt by the milestone we were approaching, it was in bright, flashing lights coaxing us to come closer.
Meanwhile, I spent some time tending to my cold bare-feet. (For those of you who are coming in mid-conversation, there's a post a few weeks back about taking my shoes off and going barefoot). A lot of things about the prospect of marriage scared me; mostly because I was caught red-handed growing up. It terrified me to realize the past 20 years of my life had gone by so fast and I was suddenly standing in the moment I've waited for all my life. It was intimidating. I was having a minor pre-life crisis. Although my barefoot strike showed me many other things I could do without, it didn't take long without that particular pair of shoes before I was sprinting barefoot back to the one place my feet called home. I ran as fast as I could back to Gage.
I put my shoes back on.
And, I put something sparkly on my finger, too! :)
Although we had our sights set on this summer, Gage had me believing we weren't going to get engaged for quite a while. He's always had a knack for lying... that, or I'm incredibly gullible. Either way, I was hanging on his every word when he told me the ring probably wouldn't be done before I left for Italy. Even if it was, it was near impossible that he'd be able to propose before he moved to Portland.
I was all for believing. That's why I had absolutely no suspicions on Thursday, March 24, 2011 when we stopped at the Spanish Fork airport to go for a quick plane ride over Utah Valley.
The night before we were moving Gage to Oregon, I met him at the Trolley for dinner when I got off work. Afterward, we drove to the Spanish Fork Airport where we met a friend of Gage's mom's who needed to get some night hours flying for aviation school. I was so delighted to be the lucky couple who got to tag along! My Grandpa Wilson was a small plane pilot and I'd never been in one before, so I was excited to get a glimpse into his passion and legacy. Plus, I couldn't think of a more exciting and romantic way for us to spend our last day in Utah together. (Oh, and maybe a little of my excitement had to do with it feeling like an episode of my favorite TV show, The Bachelor! --Except my bachelor is waaaaay better looking and actually has a personality!!!)

It was a little 4-passenger plane and I've never seen anything as cute as my 6'4" 240 lb boy toy cramming in the backseat. His knees were so close to his face they were practically squishing his cheeks together. Priceless!
As we turned onto the runway, I thought my butterflies would've been enough to put us in flight. I was smiling from ear-to-ear and had a death grip on Gage's arm.

It was a little 4-passenger plane and I've never seen anything as cute as my 6'4" 240 lb boy toy cramming in the backseat. His knees were so close to his face they were practically squishing his cheeks together. Priceless!
As we turned onto the runway, I thought my butterflies would've been enough to put us in flight. I was smiling from ear-to-ear and had a death grip on Gage's arm.
The instant we were above the valley and I caught a glimpse of the city lights, I lost my breath. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. We could see from Payson to Lehi. The same crummy county I had taken for granted all my life was suddenly a sight for sore eyes. I was in awe.
We took a trip to Springville and had my parents walk outside to see us as we were flying overhead. We were able to fly over Gage's house, our churches, our highschools, and into the mouths of Hobble Creek and Spanish Fork Canyons. It was INCREDIBLE!
We took a trip to Springville and had my parents walk outside to see us as we were flying overhead. We were able to fly over Gage's house, our churches, our highschools, and into the mouths of Hobble Creek and Spanish Fork Canyons. It was INCREDIBLE!
I looked over at Gage a few times during the flight and was a little bothered by his facial expression. Those big brown eyes were bulging and glazed over like a deer in the headlights... And he looked like he was going to need a barf-bag any moment. Here I was having the time of my life and he couldn't even crack a smile! I asked him if he was okay and in the most somber, shell-shocked voice I've ever heard, he responded, "Yeah... I'm just... I'm just talking it all in..."
Slightly bugged by his seemingly bad attitude, I let it slide and kept enjoying the scenery.
We were only flying a few more minutes when Gage pointed out the window and said, "Can you see that!? What is it...? I think it says something!" In the middle of an open field, I could see some lights... but without my glasses I couldn't tell it spelled anything, let alone read it! UGH! Leave it to me to forget my glasses!!! That little plane puttered around in over 10 circles while I was peering out the window. With my eyes squinted and cheeks pressed to the glass, I prayed for God to heal the blind just one more time so I could read the lights!
Alas, a miracle!
I let out a BIGGER squeal when I turned around to see Gage scrunched up on one knee in the backseat of the plane holding a diamond ring.

I've always been a crier and I thought for sure I'd cry the day I got engaged... But instead I was elated to the point of screams and laughter. I could not contain my excitement! I think somewhere between shrieks and laughs, I managed to say yes... Maybe not, but I'm pretty sure I still got my point across. I threw my arms around Gage and kissed my future husband. In that moment, I had the whole world in my arms. And we had our entire future ahead of us...
When we landed, Gage said, "Now do you know why I was acting so weird?!? I was so nervous!" He's adorable.
As soon as we were on solid ground, I couldn't get out of the plane fast enough... I ran straight to Gage, jumped into his arms, and smothered him in hugs and kisses. It's funny how much more fun it is to kiss your fiance rather than to kiss your boyfriend. :)

Come to find out, Matt is a licensed airline pilot, not an aviation student. The tables turned... I thought we were doing him a favor, but it turned out he was doing us a HUGE favor! And even though we were already safe and sound on the ground when I found out, I let out a deep sigh of relief knowing we were in good, educated hands. We owe him and his wife a million thank-you's. They were so sweet to help us out and so fun to share that moment with.
We left the airport in a hurry to share the exciting news with our families. We were both blessed with amazing, supportive families who are so happy and excited for us. I've always said that whoever married me was going to be the luckiest man in the world solely because my family will make incredible in-laws. What I never anticipated, however, was finding a family that I thought was just as great as mine. I seriously could NOT ask for better in-laws. I struck gold with the Loftins and I consider myself the luckiest girl in the world to be marrying their son. They've made me feel at home since day one and I am so excited to be an official part of the fam.
I can hardly believe Gage Loftin is going to be mine for keeps!
Some girls have all the luck! :)
March 24, 2011 was the best day of my entire life.
. . . So far.
It only gets better from here!
Aaaaand I'm pretty sure July 20th 2011 is going to be hard to beat!
What's better than starting forever with your very best friend?
BEAT THAT!
Aaaaand I'm pretty sure July 20th 2011 is going to be hard to beat!
What's better than starting forever with your very best friend?
BEAT THAT!



This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSo as you can see I was logged on under Jonas' name when I first commented....Dummy!!! :) I love your proposal story! How romantic and so fun. I could not help but smile the WHOLE time as I read this post. I love ya so much Wit and I am so excited for you!
ReplyDeleteThis is the cutest thing I've ever read. Your whole blog is, Witney Wilson, I'm your official blog stalker.
ReplyDeleteyou are soooooo so so so cute wit!!!! I LOVE THIS haha awwwwww being in love is the best!
ReplyDeleteI was team gage the whole time!! and look now you are in love! i love you both so so so so much!
ReplyDeletexoxo fav daughter
This story is so CUTE!! I cant wait to get married! Listening to stories like these make me want to get married! The funny thing is I got butterflies for you. haha! Im a dork! Congrats Witney!
ReplyDeleteThat is an awesome engagement story! I had to wipe a tear from my eye. I'm so excited for you guys! Congrats a million times! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteThis is so great girl!!! I am SO excited for you ;) Cutest story ever congrats!!!!
ReplyDelete