retro lulu

Saturday, May 14, 2011

dieci giorno

Friday, May 13, 2011 (Ooooooooh!)

Heeeeey!

Scare ya?

Sorry I didn’t write yesterday, It was such a busy day and we were jam packed going from one thing to the next, so I never got a second to sit down and tell you about it. It’s now Saturday morning and we’re just doing some laundry (washing our clothes in the sink…bleh…) before we head out in search of the beach! I’ll give you a recap of yesterday and then hopefully be able to write you again later tonight to tell you about today.

We slept out on the deck last night! There were about 9 of us who pulled our mattresses out on the deck that overlooks St. Peter’s Basilica to be able to watch the sun as it came up and lit up this beautiful ancient city. We went for a run to the Vatican and back (we mapped it online and it’s about a 2.5 mile run… not bad for a vacay!) and then went out to claim our spots on the deck. After only a few minutes out there, our sheets and blankets and pillows were all wet from the humidity! We were one soggy crew out there. We were all laying in our beds falling asleep when fireworks started going off. THIS IS REAL LIFE!!! That’s what I keep reminding myself. This is all so unreal; I can’t believe I get to claim this as my life. How did I get so lucky??? We sat out on the deck of our top floor room in Rome, Italy and watched fireworks go off over one of the most important landmarks in the Catholic religion. What a wonderful world!

We slept to the gentle humming of cars and busses, wailing sirens, and violent horn-honking. Although I went to bed dry, I woke up moist and soggy. I was freezing, My neck was kinked and my throat was so sore. But I woke up to see the sun rising over Rome and instantly none of that mattered. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. It made me so grateful to be here. There really is beauty in all things! It just seems a little easier to find it out here. Everywhere you look, there’s something new to knock you over and steal your breath.

We woke up with the sun blasting our face and hauled all our mattresses back across the entire sixth floor to our room.

Now, rewind 12 hours…

Our day yesterday was SO long! We were gone from 9 until 6. It went by really fast considering how long we were out there. It seemed to get a lot better by the end of this week… Last week and early this week, I was always tired and had no energy, I was homesick, It was hard to stay energized and motivated, and I had to work hard to keep a positive attitude. Now, it all comes naturally. I got over that hump and couldn’t be happier to be a part of this experience. Even when we have nine hour days, I’m still bouncing off the walls with energy and excitement!

We spent the first half of our day at a few different churches and seeing some incredible paintings and sculptures. Afterwards, we went to a place called the Fountain of 4 Rivers. It was miraculous! We walked through all these dirty little side streets to get there, so I was so shocked when one of them opened up to a giant, bright white fountain. I think we all screamed a little bit and ran full-speed to see it in its entirety! The square it’s located in is called Piazza Novena and it is exactly how Italy seems in the movies and daydreams. The beautiful fountain was the central focus in the middle of the square and it was all lined with buildings, apartments, and shops in colorful stucco and shutters and flower boxes on the windows. The street cafes have tables with red and white checkered table cloths and the entire street is filled with umbrella-covered vendors with painters painting and selling their work. It was absolutely perfect! It’s those little moments when Italy slows down and comes to life that make this whole trip worthwhile.

We took a break in the Piazza Novena to explore the shops and grab some lunch. Afterwards, we went to the Galleria Borghese. It is a ginormous white building that houses some of the most spectacular works of art in Italy. It’s up on a hill far away from the hustle and bustle of the city and in the middle of a huge park. The streets are lined with soaring trees and the grass spans for miles. People are walking their dogs and riding umbrella-covered 4-seater pedal-bikes. I discovered my favorite statues of the entire trip in this museum. They are both a Roman artist named Bernini; called Apollo & Daphne and The Rape (Abduction) of Proserpina. They both tell such interesting and memorable stories that set them apart from the other works I’ve seen.

The Apollo & Daphne is about a woman who is destined to morph into a tree unless the love of her life lifts her off the ground before she can take root. The statue depicts Apollo attempting to lift Daphne off of the ground, but he’s reached her too late and she’s already turning into a tree. Her feet and calves look like bark and her fingertips resemble leaves and branches.

The Rape of Proserpina is about a young girl getting abducted. Don’t worry, there isn’t anything graphic, because back in those days rape meant abduction. –I was a little worried, too!— Proserpina is the daughter of the Mother of the Seasons and is kidnapped by the God of the Underworld. It shows her in the moment as he has grabbed hold of her and she is fighting to get away. You can see a tear streaming down her cheek and the way his fingers dent into her skin with such a tight grip makes it almost seem real. The story continues to explain that her mother is sad while she is away which is why we have fall and winter and then is happy again when she returns which is why we have spring and summer.

Both of these pieces are filled with so much movement and passion. They are both so lifelike. The detail blew me away. Not only were these sculptures more visually appealing than any of the others I’ve seen, but they told a more captivating story. I was so mad that we weren’t allowed to take pictures inside the museum, because it held my favorite sculptures of this entire trip!

I’m sorry for all of you that read these emails word for word. I know they’re probably boring since I get so excited about something you’ve never even heard of. Just bear with me, because these emails are doubling as my journal entries, so I have to be as detailed as I can so I will always remember these things. I promise not to be offended if you’re only skimming!

I love you so much! It’s so great to hear from you guys! I’m sorry I don’t always respond individually due to the long, busy days… But I promise I read them and am so grateful to have them. Ya’ll are the best! Thanks for everything!

Ciao!

Wit

1 comment:

  1. I loved Piazza Novena! I bought a few little drawings that are now in my house to remind of my love for Roma! I am so glad you are over your homesick hump. The first week was the hardest for me too! Keep living it up-- it sounds like you are having an amazing time.

    I also loved loved loved the Galleria Borghese. It was my favorite museum too. And that park is where we spent an afternoon once riding one of those crazy bikes! It was so fun though.

    I love your emails. I love that you are having so much fun. I am vicariously living through you. Haha. :)

    Love you SBS!

    ReplyDelete